Monday 22 January 2018

Kafni Glacier : A trek to meet Himalayas in Uttarakhand (Part II)

The sun was standing at the doorstep of night, green trees in the jungle had already transformed into black beauty of the valley, the dense forest became more silent now, at the corner of a dark cave a kettle was kept on fire with water boiling inside for tea, one man with whitish black or blackish white beared was sharing his words of wisdom with trekkers ... no no it's not a scene from the Hollywood movie... 😁 This is the scenario where I left my story of Kafni trek in the previous blog.
A heart warming interaction with Pindari wale baba. (Remember?)

The sun was about to say goodbye by the time we reached Dwali... A 19 km trek for the day finally met it's destination.We could see the bright shining Nanda Devi peak from KMVN rest house. Glittering snow of the peak had nothing to do with the gloomy sky. It's sparkle replaced the need of move spray for our leg and shoulder muscles, which were still in shock post giving the endurance test after a long time.
Nanda Devi East view from KMVN Guest House Dwali


Day 3 - Dwali to Kafni Glacier


It was a peaceful night, had a sound sleep.Next day morning as we were supposed to do a back and forth trek to Kafni glacier, which was a 28 km long route estimated with an approximate altitude gain of 4000ft.

For, such a long distance it was our strategy to commence the march before the dawn this time.(This was how we cheated the distance and height at the same time).
With a glucose rich breakfast and carbohydrate rich lunch packs inside our bag packs, we all strated the trek early morning .The head torches were our Pathfinder in this journey. Slow and steady we all were climbing to meet our self proclaimed host - Kafni.

Our first stop today was Khatiya (@10k ft) after 7 km of climbing from Dwali. (still thinking why the name was kept Khatiya, bed in English... 🤔) We were almost half way to the Zero point now. Still had 8 kms to cover.
Khatiya (10,000ft)

The trail was tough at places, we also did a little bit bouldering in order to proceed. But, it was fun.
Though, each km was not at all easy to climb as, with increasing altitude the breath was going down. I had already finished my water, so as my companions. The distance seem to get doubled.

After climbing about five kms from Khatiya, which i felt like climbing 10. Bcoz, I could see a small part of the glacier right infront of my eyes. So, I was happy inside with the thought that perhaps I have reached there. But, the worst hit ever I got while found a milestone pillar with Kafni 3 kms written on it.
Giving up is not an option... Anyway... 

Don't know about Zero point but That was the breaking point for me at that moment...
No water, paining muscles, lowering breath and keep all this aside, the thundering pressure that if I won't reach there by 12:30, everybody will start descending as per the plan of our instructor and I will have to return without meeting the glacier even after entering so close in it's vicinity. Its like visiting our home but not meeting the parents.

The thought itself was making me upset. And then only Rakesh sir (a fellow trekker) asked me - Have  you ever visited a glacier before?
I said No, as it was my first ever glacier trek.
He said (laughingly)- fir to dekhna banta hai ( then you must visit)...
His words were like adding fuel to the fire...
I thought if I can cover so many miles to be here, I can definitely cover the rest 3 km too.
I literally gulped a bit of snow. And can't explain you the taste of it (I've nvr tasted anything so delicious in my life before). So, I gathered all my will cz energy had already reached to point zero. 😁 And i found the last Three kms were the most amazing trail I covered during this trek. 
The  sheet of glittering snow was spread all around me, (A white carpet welcome by Kafni glacier) With boots all dipped into snow, the level went up to knees as we were moving closer to the glacier. The trail became much narrowed and risky. But, finally I reach there... and met him. The mighty kafni glacier... he must be smiling at me... but, guess what I told him as I reached there-  Oye! look Kya dera hai?😎 I am here now... 
Kafni Zero Point

I just cannot explain you the feeling guys... it was like being into a completely different world...

Though, we could not stay there for long but, those 15 min were completely worth covering a thousand miles.
You will see in the video how dumbstruck I went after reaching this place.Honestly telling It's involantry with me or any die heart nature lover... As the saying goes Beauty makes you go dumb, it's a fact. I experience the same whenever I meet nature to it's extreme.

                          Trek to Kafni Glacier in 3 min

 jiska mujhe Tha intzar... jiske like tha dil bekaraar wo ghadi aa gai...
(The moment for which I waited so long finally it arrived and passed like a blow of the wind...)
So, was this all??
No ways....
when you are into the lap of mother nature herself, surprises have a never ending series of nuclear fission to blow your mind... And vanish everything but the smile on your face and peace in your heart.

we were back to Dwali by the evening and got to know that we won't be going home directly. A mini Switzerland was all set for
our camping to make this trip even more memorable...

Day 4- Dwali to Kharkia to Dhakuri


we were honestly horrified with the thought of doing a 3 km straight way climbing after a 19 km trek in one go while returning. How does one feel after the show is over and it's time to pack up the mess? Well! with aching body & exhausted mind we were also feeling the same...

While trekking back to Kharkia I realised... Once you have taken a path, next time you find it comparatively shorter. Puran Sir, Alok Sir, Danu Sir, Ekta & I, we all were measuring the distance together... And my dear selfie queen added one more skill to the talent list of sir's. They were now an equally good photographer in addition to a trekking guide.

We reached kharkia by the evening and after a 10 min halt there moved to Dhakuri. Another heaven in pindari valley.
Dhakuri Camp site from height

For your knowledge, Dhakuri is a very famous tourist destination and an amazing place for camping. Bourn fire, stories, songs, music, good food and company of  friends... a perfect evening and perfect place to celebrate life...
A perfect evening at Dhakuri


Day 5 - Hike to Chiltamai Peak (A hidden treasure of Pindari Valley)


Next day, again a hidden treasure was there to surprise us... Because we are in a habit to conquer the peaks so, sitting midway at Dhakuri was not our cup of tea. We did a small 10 km hike to Chiltamai temple situated at Dhakuri peak. It was a unique & auspicious experience... we could actually feel the abode of God there... Extreme nature gave us one more reason to feel blessed being an eye witness of it's purity and majesty. The images say it all...

Chiltamai Temple

An ocean of Mountains... Heard before?

Happy moments with buddy

Lost in the nature at Dhakuri peak


Day 6 - Kharkia to Almora

Next day we came down to kharkia, where Marshalls were waiting for us to drop till Bharadi. From there, buses dropped us back to Almora. This is how one more fabulous trip came to an end.

 You know, what I feel & think after each trip of mine... this life is too short and there is Soo much to explore... One life is not enough... seriously... but I want to cover as much as I can... I want to wander till my last breath... I want to see nature in it's every form...
From the deserted mountains to the snow capped glaciers ... let's see what is next !!

Join me in my travel journey ... Mail me direct if you want to be a part of my next story... 
Don't forget to Hit the Follow button on the top right of this page.

Thanks for sharing your precious time with me... 

See you soon with another story... 🙂

4 comments: